Sunday 2 June 2019

My first steps in HDR Panoramic Photography

One of my free time hobbies is photography. I like to visit different places and to capture them if it is convenient.
Not long ago I found interested in HDR panoramic photography. Because I was fascinated by HDR maps I was using during digital compositing. The resolution of those maps, their dynamic range, allowing me to insert a fragment of a simple image into a whole film sequence, to animate it and make the shot look significantly better.

So, I have started to learn how to create such things. I spent a lot of time on collecting the knowledge, theory, on practicing. A lot of my shooting series were not even close to be stiched. But with patience and analysys of my mistakes I have reached some good results, which I can share with you now.

This link leads to one of my results:



This map was shot on a simple Canon 650D DSLR camera during a vacation in mountains of Sochi, Russian Federation.

360Cities does not need a full dynamic range, they just collect beautiful photos, but I have stitched a true HDR panorama as well. Just have not published yet. Working about the optimisation between filesize and quality at the moment. The final result exists as .jpg / .exr / .hdr in resolution of 28K pixels, which can be enough for any sky replacement task of visual effects for film or television.


You can view the panorama in a full-size window at 360Cities page

https://www.360cities.net/image/mountain-river-shakhe-sochi-russia

Here is a small preview of this panorama. You can scroll it, turn, rotate with mouse or arrows. And it is just the beginning.

Mountain River Shakhe, Sochi, Russia